Convert equity in your home into tax-free income, without having to sell
A reverse mortgage is a loan that enables senior homeowners, age 62 and older, to convert part of their home equity into tax-free* income-without having to sell their home, give up title to it, or make monthly mortgage payments. The loan only becomes due when the last borrower (s) permanently leaves the home.
How is a reverse mortgage like a home equity loan? How is it different?
Both a reverse mortgage and a home equity loan use the equity you have built up in your home to provide you with readily available cash.
They differ in that with a home equity loan you must make regular monthly payments of principal and interest. However, with a reverse mortgage you do not make any monthly mortgage payments for as long as you stay in the home.
No. Since reverse mortgage borrowers need not make monthly repayments, there are no income qualifications.
There are many. Here are a few of the most significant:
- Remain independent. A reverse mortgage allows you to remain in your home and retain home ownership.
- Stay in your home. It allows you to remain in your home and retain home ownership.
- No monthly mortgage payments. You need not pay back the reverse mortgage loan nor make any monthly mortgage payments until you permanently move out of the home.
- Tax-free money. Because the money you receive from a reverse mortgage is not considered income, it is tax free* and will not affect your Social Security or Medicare benefits.
- Freedom and flexibility. The money you get from a reverse mortgage is yours to use in any way you choose.
* Consult Tax Advisor. Not all products available in all states.